ERI SEE Priorities
The priorities in the work of the Education Reform Initiative of South Eastern Europe (ERI SEE) were set on the basis of the ERI SEE mission and vision*, and in consultation with relevant documents important for the realization of the mentioned mission and vision, namely:
- Education and Training 2020 Working Groups mandates (in the framework of Open Method of Coordination)
- South Eastern Europe 2020 Strategy
- Economic Reform Programmes per countries, specifying the structural reforms planned at national levels and responding to the identified challenges
- European Commission Overviews and Country Assessments, listing the key areas of intervention and progress
- Progress/Country Reports (if applicable), summarizing the current state of affairs and main areas in which countries need to progress further
- National Strategies, Action Plans or Programmes focusing on education and training and listing priorities, goals and measures to be implemented in the coming period (exact period depending on the country) and addressing the identified challenges and recommendations.
The main areas of developments were cross-checked and compared across ERI SEE countries and specific strategic documents and as a result, the defined priorities and actions are agreed among ERI SEE member countries, having in mind the joint regional interest and national needs:
Modernization of VET and Cooperation between VET and Business sector
- Implementation of VET reforms through knowledge sharing, development of policy guidelines etc.
- Support for educators
- Modernisation of curricula/vocational education programmes (based on learning outcomes)
- Improving cooperation between education institutions and business sector
- Partnership arrangements between VET providers and companies
- Involving private sector needs into designing and implementing labour market and VET policies
- Integrating work-based learning schemes into education
Recognition of higher-education qualifications
- Developing systems for a smooth recognition of higher education qualifications, supporting mobility in SEE and exploring fast-track recognition for non-regulated professions.
Quality education (teacher training, quality assurance)
- Improvement of teacher trainings (based on new curricula)
- Building teaching capacities of primary and secondary teachers so to develop basic and transversal skills among students
- Quality assurance mechanisms to be adopted
- Increasing the quality of education and strengthen the quality assurance mechanisms through internal and external evaluation of institutions
- Increasing the level of digitalisation
* The Education Reform Initiative of South Eastern Europe (ERI SEE) supports sustainable education reforms through regional cooperation. It aims at fostering shared European standards in education and training for a rapid integration of its member countries into a wider European area of education, thus contributing to the success and sustainability of the EU integration process.
ERI SEE takes into account both country-specific needs and demands in education reforms, as well as present trends in the development of the envisaged European Area of Education, as outlined in the EU Education and Training 2020 Work Programme, the ‘Bologna Process’ and the ‘Copenhagen Process’.